Are you wondering if CBD is safe to give to your dog?
Giving your dog a supplement that can help it relax, feel calm, and deal with pain sounds exciting. But many pet owners are unsure about CBD for dogs.
With cannabis legalized in more states every year, it’s no surprise that people are now looking into CBD for their pets. After all, we care about our furry friends and want them to live long, happy lives too!
The good news is that studies are researching, testing, and proving the benefits of CBD for dogs. These include anxiety, fear, and pain reduction.
This article will discuss everything you need to know about CBD for dogs. We’ll talk about the benefits of CBD, how to administer it to your pet, and some things you should keep in mind when choosing CBD products.
So whether you’re a longtime medical cannabis fan or just starting to learn about this amazing compound, read on to learn more!
What Is CBD?
Cannabidiol (CBD) is a cannabinoid, or chemical compound, found in the cannabis sativa plant (cannabis or hemp).
Unlike its more famous cousin, THC (tetrahydrocannabinol), CBD does not get users high. Instead, CBD is shown to have various medical benefits, such as reducing anxiety and pain relief.
This makes CBD an appealing option for people and animals looking for relief from conditions like anxiety, pain, and inflammation without the mind-altering effects of THC.
CBD is available in various forms, including oils, tinctures, capsules, edibles, and topical creams. It can also be taken in many different ways, including orally (by mouth), topically (on the skin), and inhaled (via vape).
How Does CBD Work for Dogs and other Pets?
CBD works by interacting with the body’s endocannabinoid system (ECS).
Reports show that dogs have an even greater level of endocannabinoid receptors in their brains compared to humans.
The ECS is a network of receptors and chemicals that help regulate various functions in the body, including pain, inflammation, anxiety, and sleep.
When CBD enters the body, it binds to these receptors and helps to modulate their activity. This can help to reduce pain, inflammation, and anxiety.
CBD also increases levels of anandamide, a chemical that helps to regulate mood and reduce anxiety.
What Does CBD Oil Do for dogs?
There are many potential benefits of giving your dog CBD.
- CBD is shown effective in reducing anxiety in both humans and animals. If your dog suffers from separation anxiety, fear of thunderstorms, or social anxiety, CBD may be able to help relax them and provide much-needed relief.
- CBD is a potent anti-inflammatory and can be used to treat conditions like arthritis and joint pain. The anti-inflammatory effects of CBD can also help to reduce swelling and improve mobility.
- CBD is also known to have neuroprotective properties, which means it can help to protect the brain from damage and improve cognitive function. This is especially important for senior dogs, which may be more prone to cognitive decline.
- In addition, CBD is effective in treating seizures and idiopathic epilepsy. If your dog suffers from seizures, talk to your vet about CBD as a treatment option.
- CBD helps to fight off cancer.
- CBD is known to stimulate the appetite. It can be heartbreaking to watch your animal not be able to eat. The natural remedy can help your fur-baby eat.
- It can aid in pain relief.
- It is safe and effective.
The Different Forms of CBD for dogs
CBD is available in many different forms, including oils, tinctures, capsules, edibles, and topical creams. The best form of CBD for your dog will depend on their individual needs.
- CBD Oils are the most popular form of CBD for dogs. They’re easy to administer and can be given orally or added to your dog’s food or water.
- CBD Tincture for dogs are another popular option and can be given orally or added to food. However, there may be better options if your dog doesn’t like the taste of cannabis.
- CBD Capsules are a good option for dogs who don’t like the taste of CBD oil or tinctures. They’re easy to administer, as you can add them to your dog’s food or water.
- CBD Edibles such as dog treats, are another great option for dogs who don’t like the taste of CBD oil or tinctures. They’re also convenient and easy to administer.
- CBD Topical Creams are a terrific option for treating localized pain or inflammation. They’re easy to apply and can be given as needed.
How to Give CBD to Your Dog
CBD can be given orally and topically to your dog. The best method will depend on your dog’s individual needs.
Oral: CBD oil or tincture can be given directly by mouth or added to your dog’s food.
Topical: CBD cream can be applied directly to the affected area.
How to Dose CBD for Dogs
The best way to find the right dosage of CBD for your dog is to start with a low dose and gradually increase as needed. This allows you to control the dosage safely.
If you’re giving your dog CBD oil orally, start with a low dose and increase as needed. The standard starting dose is 2mg per 10lbs pound of body weight.
If you’re using a tincture, put the desired amount of drops under your dog’s tongue. This allows the CBD to be absorbed directly into the bloodstream.
To use topicals, simply apply the desired amount of CBD cream or ointment to the affected area and massage in.
Your vet can also help you determine the best dosage and product for your dog.
Is CBD Oil Bad for Dogs?
Yes, CBD is generally safe for dogs.
The most common side effects of CBD in dogs are drowsiness and gastrointestinal upset. Other possible side effects include dry mouth, low blood pressure, and lightheadedness.
If your dog experiences any adverse side effects after taking CBD, contact your veterinarian immediately to schedule a checkup.
Some papers show an elevation in the liver value alkaline phosphatase (ALP) in the bloodwork of dogs. But there is yet to be a conclusion on whether this is a concern.
CBD can also interact with some medications, so it’s important to talk to your vet if your dog is on any medication.
Can a Dog Overdose from CBD?
No, a dog technically cannot overdose from CBD.
There have been no reported overdose cases or serious side effects from taking CBD. However, it is possible to give your dog too much of the compound, which can lead to the various side effects listed above.
Do Vets Recommend CBD Oil for Dogs?
Yes, a number of veterinarians are beginning to propose CBD for dogs. In fact, the American Kennel Club’s Canine Health Foundation is currently funding a study on the use of cannabidiol for dogs with canine epilepsy.
CBD Drug Interactions in Dogs
CBD can interact with other medications your dog is taking. Therefore, it’s recommended to talk to your veterinarian before giving your dog CBD.
Possible drug interactions include:
Sedatives: CBD may increase the effects of sedatives and cause drowsiness.
Stimulants: CBD may decrease the effects of stimulants and also cause increased drowsiness.
Blood thinners: CBD may increase the effects of blood thinners and cause heightened bleeding.
(NSAIDs): CBD may increase the effects of NSAIDs and cause stomach issues.
How to Choose the Right CBD Product for Your Dog
When choosing the best CBD products for dogs it’s important to consider the following factors:
- CBD concentration: The higher the concentration of CBD, the less you’ll need to give your dog. So always note the concentration when purchasing a CBD product.
- CBD quality: CBD quality varies greatly, so it’s important to choose a high-quality brand to ensure your dog is getting the best products.
- Delivery method: CBD can be given orally (by mouth) or topically (on the skin). Choose the delivery method that your dog feels most comfortable with.
- Extract type: CBD oil is the most popular extract type for dogs. You can put the oil directly in your dog’s mouth or add it to their food or water.
- Taste: CBD products are available in a variety of flavors, so choose one that your dog will enjoy. It may be best to find unflavored oils if your dog is picky about food.
- Price: CBD products vary in price and usually become pricier as the quality of the product increases. Choose the product that best fits your budget.
Get Your Medical Cannabis ID Card Today
CBD is a safe and effective way to help your dog with anxiety, pain relief, and other conditions. Talk to your veterinarian about whether CBD is right for your dog. And always purchase CBD products from a reputable source.
Now that you know everything you need to know about CBD for dogs, you can decide whether it’s right for your furry friend. Thanks for reading!If you’d like to get your own medical marijuana card, please feel free to reach out. We’re Pennsylvania’s one-stop shop for medical marijuana certification. Get certified today with no appointment needed!